Recent Posts

August 3, 2011

Cesarean

No one ever tells you how to prepare for a c-section and to be honest, I never asked anyone because I was hoping for the normal way and just assumed I would I guess. So I thought if I wrote about my experience anyone who is interested can be somewhat prepared...just in case.

I mentally prepared myself for giving birth the normal way, so I researched a lot so I could be ahead of the game. Looking back, even though the nurses and my doctor were keeping me informed on everything every step of the way, I still wish I would have also researched on c-sections before I went into labor because you never know!

I'm the type of person who likes to prepare myself for things. I like to have somewhat of an idea of what is going to happen or how it's going to feel. For example, before I got the IV in my hand I asked the nurse if it was going to hurt. I'm such a wuss and of course it didn't even sting. So you can only imagine what was going through my head when they were wheeling me to the operating room - I didn't know what to expect.

I have a friend who to this day still doesn't know exactly why she had a c-section. This is so strange to me. When my doctor told me I needed a c-section the 'first time' I told her that I wanted to keep trying to push. Within minutes Aubree's heart rate was dropping and we had no choice but to hurry and get her out. I'm so grateful my doctor explained to me why I had a c-section - every time I would try to push, Aubree would try to come down, but her shoulder was stuck which made her heart rate drop - bless her little heart.

While I was pregnant, I told my doctor I didn't want to rush anything and have nature take its course. She explained that there is really no point going past your due date if you're 'ripe' enough because every day after your due date your placenta starts to die. My mom was a week late with me and the doctor told her the placenta had aging spots all over it - yikes! So I scheduled to go to the hospital on my due date - I was induced the next morning and progressing well. I was dilated to a 7/8 and practiced pushing, but my cervix was swelling and I had a fever. The doctor didn't want to risk the baby from getting a fever and that's when she mentioned having a c-section the first time. She let Rob and I talk it over, but 2 minutes later she came rushing back in and said Aubree's heart rate is dropping, you are having a c-section. After I heard that, I immediately said YES let's go and started bawling! I was so nervous for sweet baby Aubree, but I was trying hard to stay calm for her sake.

About 10 nurses unplugged everything and rushed me to the operating room. They were all working and communicating so quickly. My anesthesiologist talked me through everything - he was so helpful. They let Rob come in and sit by my head - I was more calm by then. I couldn't distinguish pressure from pain (remember I'm a wuss), so my anesthesiologist gave me more drugs. At one point I had him put me out with that stuff Michael Jackson died from (eek), only because the tugging and pulling from putting me back together wasn't a fun feeling. I had a kung-fu grip on each side of the table.

Rob mentioned that he looked over the sheet after sweet Aubree arrived - I made him stop telling me what he saw because I never want to hear about my guts spilling out of my body. I have a friend who was able to video her c-section and she watches it to this day! She is awesome!! But I could never in a million years watch that. I wouldn't even watch an epidural video online because I knew it would scar me for my experience getting one (ps it was a.m.a.z.i.n.g - I didn't even feel the needle).

When I thought I was giving birth the normal way, I was looking forward to holding sweet baby Aubree right away on my chest. With a c-section, the nurses took Aubree to the nursery with Rob while I was getting put back together. Then they took me to a recovery room for 30 minutes. I was so anxious to see her and hold her and love her. It felt like an eternity. Finally, my mom and Aubree came in to see me and I was filled with so much happiness - the tears wouldn't stop. The love I have for this sweet little baby is unexplainable. It is SO amazing to me the connection you have with your baby right away. I am obsessed with that feeling!

So there is my cesarean experience. The recovery has been great, my scar is gnarly, and I'm extremely grateful to have a healthy baby. I would do it all over again for the little miss.

7 THOUGHTS:

Amanda Stephan said...

I know we don't really "know" each other well but I wanted to comment about your post. Reading your experience is surreal to me because it brings back the emotions of having my son...our stories are almost identical! I think it's great you shared your experience because they really don't prepare you for it! RJ was always on the "large side" so they had always mentioned that c-section might be a possibility..his head was 99.8% on the charts my entire pregnancy...so they were really concerned with that but they never really went into detail about c-section because they induced me and we were hoping I would deliver normal...well, that didn't happen! Crazy to think that our babies were cut out of us...yuck! haha. Again, I think it's great you shared your story/feelings about having a c-section!

Amanda Stephan

Taylor and Amanda Lines said...

i have delivered all 3 of my babies via cesarean and i actually really love the surgery now. my first one was horrible of course because i had no time to mentally think or prepare about what was coming, plus my body was already in shock and exhausted from the hours and hours of labor i went through beforehand. i dont know how you plan to have your children in the future, but just know that a scheduled c-sec is SO much easier than an emergency! you have your baby within an hour and the recovery isn't bad at all! im about to have my fourth and i can't wait for my hospital vacation! hehe aubree is so precious! congrats to you two :]

Audrey Crisp said...

How scary. You were so brave. I guess she had other plans. I'm sure you would've preferred the regular way, but her safety is all that matters. You are a rockstar! So glad everything went well for you. She is just so cute! I'm a complete wuss too, thanks for telling us about your C-Section! ; )

Amy D. Hall Riter said...

Thanks for sharing!!! Good to know and great things to start thinking about. You handled everything so well. Give Aubree a kiss for me.

liz said...

I'm so glad you posted this because in case something goes wrong and I have to have a c section I know I'll be ok..thanks to you! And you look great by the way!

Brandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandi said...

You are an amazing woman & mother. Enough said.
I can kind of relate to your delivery. Seriously, I felt like my delivery with Jakob was a whirlwind. I had gone in to my pregnancy understanding that things could most likely NOT go to plan however secretly hoping for a normal delivery. My water broke the night before my induction date, I was already 3 days past my due date, & I had no idea it had broke. When I got to the hospital at 7am the nurse was ticked for not coming sooner so they started me on pitocin immediately & I wasn't dialating as fast as they had hoped all day. So I got my epidural in at around 5pm & then started pushing around 9pm after I had fully dialated.
I'm not kidding, I pushed for 2 1/2 hrs straight with every contraction my body was giving me but Jakob was coming out with his body stuck to the right & his heart rate was dropping so the Dr. said if we could get him via vacuum assist then they would have to prep me for a c-section. Luckily, he came out 10 min later. Sometimes I wish that I would've had a c-section to begin with because both Jakob & I had fevers & then Jakob had to go to the NICU for possible sepsis.
I think that it is amazing that your telling your story.
Ps. You looked amazing through out your entire pregnancy.